I'm Kelly Catalfamo, a freelance writer and journalist based in Los Angeles, California. I previously worked for The Associated Press in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Phoenix, Arizona; The Day in New London, Connecticut; and The Boston Review in Boston, Massachusetts.
Although my incessant curiosity originally led me to consider a career in science, I've always loved the written word and appreciate the adventures I've had in the name of journalism. In addition to crime scenes, the campaign trail, classrooms, court rooms, town halls, and press galleries, I've found myself:
- Sleeping in shelters designed by architecture students in the Sonoran Desert
- Sailing on a 173-year-old whaling ship
- Observing a baby orangutan's public debut
- Eating diner food while discussing conspiracy theories about mountain lions
- Exploring a butcher's art studio
- Tasting foraged mushrooms
- Talking to locals at a town dump -- which they say is an important community center
I have a bachelor's degree in biology from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and a master's degree in journalism from Boston University.
Also seen in: